Monday, June 20, 2011

Ohhh yeah, I get it now.

Anybody out there? I won't blame you if you left. Not one bit. There are way more interesting things happening out there than my stagnant, dust gathering weblog (seriously, have you seen Whale Wars? Way more interesting).

But, I broke out the Swiffer duster, brushed off that neglected bookmark at the top of my browser, and started typing.

I mean, I had every intention of coming in a updating everything a while ago, there was just one problem. 

Where to start? 

You know that day after you finish your 87-day-carb-busting-blaster-diet or your no-eating-until-I-can-see-through-myself fasting? You've met your goal then take yourself to Whataburger and just buckle under the hundreds of salty and sweet options. Honey butter chicken biscuits. 

Or maybe you don't relate to that. That's okay, we'll press forward. Maybe you'll be more at ease with this anecdote: A month or so ago, a friend and co-worker came to work stressed about his Twitter. He had just created an account, and wanted his first tweet to be memorable. I remember the rest of us lightheartedly teasing his about worrying and over thinking his tweet. 

Sans french fries and tweets, I realized I was facing a similar struggle. It's been literally half a year since I've even logged in to this page. So now that I'm finally here, finally typing, finally using dormant brain power, what on Earth do I write about? Better question: What can I say to get my flaky self back into your, readers, good graces?

Well in all kinds of honesty, I don't really know the answer to that second question. What I do know is that nothing is going to happen if I don't start writing again, and fast. 

So the main part of this post will consist of a list of things that I've learned/done/discovered over the past six months. It's been an eventful time, peeps. 

  • There is no such this as an "easy" 18-hour-semester. I learned that last spring. Add that to overextending my extra-curricular commitments and stir, and you get me pounding my head against the wall or hysterically yelling "I don't have time to shower!" on a nightly basis. 
  • I'm not cool because I'm going to take Ballroom dancing for the third time next semester. Here's a rag-tag team of dancers doing what we do best. 
  • I'm officially a senior in college with 28 hours left. This has led me to the realization that I have NO IDEA what to do with my life. This sometimes leads to the reactions in the first bullet. I'm sure I'll have posts about that sporadically for the next year or so. 
  • I redecorated my room because I'm not good at keeping things the same and I have loads of this foreign concept known as spare time.
  • I have to write a 50,000 word novel sometime between now and the end of the semester. Ideas and suggestions are welcome. 
  • Two weeks ago, I went grocery shopping for the first time in five months. 
  • I was a bridesmaid in my roommate's wedding a month ago, and it was a blast. Last week, my best friend got engaged, too. Tis the season. 
  • I took my first trip out of the country for Spring Break. It was a mission trip to the Dominican Republic, and it was fantastic. I had a blast. And this just made me realize that I have no idea where my passport is. Hmm. 
  • In exactly three weeks, I'm moving back into the dorms as a staff member for Camp Crimson. I've talked about it as one of my favorite things. Because it is. Over the past few months I've had the chance to meet and get to know the other staff members and I absolutely cannot wait for everyone to be together, working, and impacting lives and futures. And starting dance parties. Lots of dance parties. 
  • I FINALLY picked up another book. Bossypants by Tina Fey. Fantastic. Hilarious. I want to write like that and be that funny forever and ever. 
  • In related news, I've discovered that I an quite partial to nonfiction rather than genre fiction. Or maybe "real life" stories that have fake people in them. I don't know, something about masked killers or time travel or post-apocalyptic survival it very hard for me to write about. (Did I lose you? Okay good.)
  • More related news: the novel I have to write must be genre fiction. Fun. 
  • I got glasses today. They make me dizzy, but now I can see the words I'm typing. Fair enough. Also, they have superpowers, but that's a post for another day. 

Man, for such an absence, that's not really much of a list. But I think it's one of those things like when you know exactly what you need to make dinner then forget half of it once you get to the store. Oh dear. 

To bring this full circle as best I can (circles aren't my strong point), I'll conclude the twitter anecdote. My friend decided the best way to handle his first tweet was to just get it out of the way. Literally. His first tweet simply read: "Glad to get the first tweet over with." After we all laughed for ten minutes and a vulgar/hilarious joke/comparison was made, he moved on and has been tweeting stress free since. 

I get it now. I get that his tweet anxiety is very similar to my blog return. I was thinking so much about what to say, when I just needed to start talking typing. 

I'll probably add more bullets and expand on others as time goes on, but for now, I leave you with this picture of myself trying to figure out how to dodge the reflective glare on my glasses from my computer screen. Cheers. 



1 comment: