Saturday, November 13, 2010

I put the "fan" in fanatic.

Readers, I did it.

An accomplishment roughly 4 years in the making, something so momentous and rare in my life yet so habitual and ordinary in the lives of so many I aspire to mimic.

I read a book.

Don't be dumb. I'm in college, people, I've read a fair share of books in the past 2 years and change. But many of those were read out of obligation to a syllabus or the threat of a pop quiz. Not this time, this was my idea, my doing, my fiction.


Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Oh yes. Here's some background:

I have followed Harry's every move since I was in the fourth grade. I've read many of the books more than once. Oh, and if you have been living in a cave for the past decade, HP is the most enthralling and magical (duh) fiction book series to hit the US and everywhere else.

Yes, better than Twilight. Suck it Edward, you were Cedric Diggory first anyway.

Back to it.

I went to all of the midnight premieres, midnight book releases, I even more than excitedly dressed up for the movies. Guys, I loved love it.

But, for some reason, that affection dissapated when I finally got my hands on the Deathly Hallows. I was so unbelievably curious in what would happen next, but as I read through the first few pages, a terrifying thought hit me:

This is it. After this, it's all over.

At this realization, I hurriedly put the book down. I was so caught up in the lives of these characters and this world that I could, and had so often, disappeared into. So I came the the conclusion that the best thing to do was just to leave the end alone. it sounds stupid I'm sure, but the closest thing I could compare this to is that old saying "if you love them, let them go."

So that's what I did. I let them go. For years..... Until about a week ago.

So, you ALL have to know that HP7 part 1 is due to hit theaters in about 95 hours and 49 minutes from right now. I knew it too, and I wasn't sure what to do about it. Do I watch it without reading the book? Do I ignore it completely? To me both of these were out of the question (really if i watched the movie without reading the book, i would never forgive myself).

So, i did the only thing a girl can do in this situation. I went home, curled up in bed, and started to read.

Readers, I was swept away. Gone from reality, and in my own little world with the character and settings painted vividly in my imagination. I haven't felt that freedom from real life, stress, or getting older in literally years.

I bet it's like drugs, or something. But way better for your vocabulary.

One week. I sucked in every world on every page. I didn't have a chance to read Wednesday or Thursday, so really in five days I read every world, cover to cover.

Now, this brief yet extreme obsessive behavior took a toll on my sleep for the week, but anyone would agree that it was worth it. There is one thing, however, that I learned about myself in finishing this last book..

I realized at about 5:30am, after reading for 4 hours and sobbing for 2 of them, that i might be a little too attached.

And it's not just Harry and his friends! My favorite shows, for example, have driven me into fits of anguish because Kurt got punched again, or that it was George that got hit by that bus (Goodness, readers, I cried for 5 days after he died)!

My point is that I'm wondering if it's good for me to be so invested in stuff like this, or if is this normal?? I mean, I'm an emotional disaster. If you know me, you know that. If you don't, there you go.

I don't know. I guess I'll just have to keep myself from just losing it during this.... 




Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment