Monday, November 29, 2010

Let me paint you a picture.

I'm going to do my best to not ramble. I'm going to go on a itsy bitsy rant instead-- in the form of a short little story...

This happened while I was back at home sitting in the coffee shop or course, when a young boy around 13 came up to where I was sitting, and just started staring at this painting copy behind me on the wall. 



Look familiar?

He didn't seem to notice me, so I looked up from my computer and just watched him. He stared and stared at this painting copy on the wall, looking rather confused. He finally looked down and noticed me awkwardly gawking at him. He took a deep breath:

"D--Does that look familiar to you?" He gestured toward the huge painting. 

I looked from the woman in the painting back to the kid. Ummm, duh? 

I said nothing... He continues...

"I mean... I feel like I've seen it somewhere. Eh, maybe not."

Again, I said nothing. I just did one of these..


At this, the kid gave be a funny look, shrugged, and walked away. 

I don't blame the kid for his inability of recognize perhaps the single most famous work of art known to man...  I blame his surroundings. How in the world does a kid reach the seventh grade and not have a basic knowledge or understanding of art? I wonder if he can read music, or can tell me what a ballet shoes looks like.

Please keep arts in schools. 

No comments:

Post a Comment