Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Seeing Red

If you like being ignorant, stop reading now. If not, please continue.

I am not a political expert by any means, nor am I really well-versed in platforms, reforms, or any other kinds of forms. On the contrary, I hate talking about politics. Hardly anything boils my blood more.

But I'm going to say this anyway because I have a blog and that's what bloggers do.

If there is one thing I believe in when I comes to voting and politics, it's that people should vote competently.

Nothing infuriates me more than ignorant voting. Like if someone plans to vote red because that's what it mean to be 'MERICAN!, or because they stand for 'MERICA! It goes both ways, if your voting blue just because you live in the reddest state in the union and want to fight "the Man", stay home.

As for me, I'm a modern-day Irving character. No, I didn't sleep through an American revolution or anything, but I do tend to let other trivial things get in the way of issues, people, and things that matter, especially in politcs. I have a lot of opinions, I'm just lazy I guess.

Mid-term elections were held today, and I didn't vote.

I knew who the gubernatorial candidates were, I knew which party they identified with, and I can loosely tell you the ideologies of each political party represented. But as far as platforms, state questions, and congressional candidates, I was less than versed in those matters, so I stayed home.

But that's not the worst of it.. The worst is that I'm at the point now where I feel like my vote wouldn't have mattered.

Take 2008 for example. I was so excited to cast my ballot for the first time in that election, but just as I dropped my ballot in the box, I overheard a young girl my age say to her friend "I'm voting Republican because my dad told me to."

Well, my vote just got cancelled out. Just like that. Boo.

I lean liberal, and I am very outnumbered in this "land of the red people" (best pun ever, i hope you take time to appreciate that). I believe Oklahoma DESPERATELY needs to pay more attention to our education system, I believe in equal rights for all citizens, and I am environmentally conscious (my roommates and I recycle!) These are all social issues, yes, but right now, as a 21-year-old college student, these things are important to me. And yes, my ideologies line up left. Sue me.

Now hold on, I'm not saying that only liberals can be environmentally aware, nor am I saying liberals have to care about these issues. I just know that I agree with much of what they stand for.

I also believe that it is okay to be conservative. I believe that if your values and ideologies line up conservatively, go for it. Shoot, if I was a mega entrepreneur I would be all for laissez-faire and free market too. ka-ching.

All I'm asking, people is that you VOTE SMART!!!!!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE learn what you stand for. Learn who you're voting for, and get a grip!

Oh and one last thing, I still love you, Jari. Mom or not you would have been wonderful!

No comments:

Post a Comment