Friday, September 3, 2010

Directions


The irony of this post is vastly expanded because of the timing of this post. You'll get it in a minute.

ANYWAY! Here it is! The first Word of the Day is....

Directions.


Directions take many forms, some in a big picture view, others in a very specific part of life. They tell you where to go and when to get there, or what to do and how to do it. And seriously, there are A TON of directions to follow during college. Let me explain.

Classes. The syllabus, for instance, is just one giant list of do's and don'ts for the next 16 weeks of your life. Attendance policies, lessons, homework, tests... All either working to teach you something, get you somewhere, or if anything they all come with... directions.

Campus. You cannot honestly look me in the blog and tell me that your Freshmen year you never cracked that campus map open and silently (or maybe not so silently) shed a tear or two.

Life After School. This is the deep, big picture directions that I was talking about. The entirety of college itself is one big, giant, humongous, push in one direction or another. Not only that, but advisors provide you with a concrete and detailed list of things to do from beginning to end.

Traveling. Well, sort of. I'm just using this section of my explanation to confess that I can't get to Bricktown without using my Garmin.

There are COUNTLESS other things I could add, but that confession leads me to my next point.

I am terrible at following directions.


It could be as intricate as quantum mechanics, or as trivial as assembling a two-piece kids' toy. Every now and then, the capability of following directions - whether it's getting things done the way they should be, or getting from A to B - escapes me.

This really hit me recently, when I just couldn't get my act together. Complicating an easy assignment, just flat out forgetting another, even losing count during the tango, are you kidding me?! It's my third year of college, man... Maybe someday I'll get the hang of it.


Anywho, I'm going to stay on the optimistic side of life and just scratch this mess up to jitters or something. To be honest, things are already looking up. T....A...N.G.O.

Now for the irony.

This word was actually intended for Monday, but apparently I can't even follow self-established directions.

Oh well. Have a super day. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment